Friday, August 24, 2007

What Is That I Hear?

Ann Wigmore in her book “Why Suffer?: How I overcame Illness & Pain Naturally” talks about taking her cues from watching animals in the wild and how they dealt with illness and injury. Animals have a tendency to listen to their bodies and look for what they need in the world around them.

Sorry to tell you this, but you’re an animal too. However, we’ve all gotten away from listening to our bodies. We allow ourselves to be influenced by people, television, and other outside influences that say they know more about what we actually need than we know. By listening to these influences we surrender our freedom, and do our bodies an injustice.

Today I got out of bed, looked in the mirror, and almost ran for the toilet (OK, so I was standing next to the toilet, but please allow me some editorial license.) I could barely stand. I thought how people at the hanger were going to have to pick up my hearings, and I might get docked a few hours under the State’s sick leave policy.

But I realized that I had to listen to what was happening at that moment. I could allow myself to be influenced by what others believed or would have to do. I could only think of the signals I was getting, and those signals told me to listen to my body and accept the signals I was getting. Others will cover the work as I’ve done so many times in the past.

What does this have to do with eating raw? Most experts suggest that it takes at least 6 months for the body to completely detox. I’m not too sure about this number. I think it could be a lot longer, given the number of years of built up toxins

This morning I was supposed to have papaya and bananas. I couldn’t even imagine cutting that papaya today. The only thing that sound, or felt, halfway decent to my body was grapes. So I settled on a mono meal. I only ate about half the grapes.

I’m hoping lunch will be better. I’ve got a salad prepared that I was going to take to work today of mangoes, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, and a dressing of balsamic vinegar and agave syrup.

Sometimes a mono meal is the best thing you can do for your body. Listen, and go with the flow. If you’re on a structured raw diet, and it calls for 10 bananas for dinner, don’t force it down (especially if they won’t stay down). Learn to substitute. Any great program, like that offered by The Raw Divas, gives options and is flexible. None of us are the same, and require different amounts and types of fuel.

The wonderful thing about being raw is that you become more aware of your body. I hear the creaks, and the sloshes. I know when the body wants to eliminate wastes (and boy, had I better listen to that signal!). I know when the body is distress. I know I have to listen to my body. I think a person who eats raw walks a finer line when it comes to their body, because the body expects so much more. The food we eat is in its natural and pure form. When we step to one side of the line, and eat something refined, the body is quick to slap us upside the head for our poor choice. Our body wants that which is pure and natural. Not something dead, and full of chemicals.

What ever you do, listen to your body, and do your own research. There are literally hundreds of great books and websites on eating raw. Don’t settle on one, unless you’re happy with what you read. After all, it’s your body you’re living in.

Listen to your body now before it screams so loud that it forces you to stop to listen.

No comments: