Friday, August 10, 2007

Ho, Ho, Ho....

There's nothing like a business trip to test your ability to stay on a raw vegan diet.

I realized just how many bad habits I've created for myself. When I stopped to get gas (after taking out a loan) I felt lost after not grabbing a bag of oil laden chips to eat at 6:30 AM. When I stopped at a great grocery to fill up at the salad bar at 8 AM, I felt like all the processed garbage was trying to jump off the shelves.

I didn't do too bad. I survived the cravings. Then on the way home today, there was the Hostess truck broken down along the highway. That was enough to send me over the edge. If I believed in guns, I would have hijacked the truck and left him for dead. But I survived (as did the driver) and focused my energies for the next 40 miles into thinking how to make a raw HO, HO like treat. I promise to post the recipe if I ever figure it out.

After six days of being in the BES program developed by the Raw Divas, I'm starting to see exciting changes. My watch is loose on my arm, and I took my belt in a notch. Not bad for just six days.

But is loosing weight my real goal? No, weight loss is just a by-product of a raw diet. The real purpose is to cleanse and bring one closer to the world I have chosen to live in at this time. As I looked out the window of my parents' home today I noticed how much greener things looked, and how crisp and defined the edges of the leaves were.

I'm still detoxing, and have noticed mood changes. Consistency is the biggest problem when you commit to a lifestyle. No matter what you do, bouncing back and forth between choices can lead to more problems than sticking with one choice, even if the choice is the lesser.

Just remember that in the framework we have developed, we have chosen to believe that there is no pain without gain. Maybe someday we'll have grown enough to realize that health is the natural state, and our birthright, if we live and eat right....

No comments: