Saturday, November 17, 2007

CRAZY DRIVERS!

I don't really yell "Crazy Driver!" at someone who makes me mad as I'm driving down the road. What I really yell (which might include some hand movements) might get my blog canceled, and most definitely gets Keely upset if she happens to be riding with me. There are some things that people do that really torks me off.

I can't stand people who like to slow down just to watch. Its like they're thanking their gods that it wasn't them. Yesterday I got stuck in a slowdown while driving the interstate. When I finally got to the cause of the problem it was a man changing a tire along the side of the road. What was even more ludicrous about this incident was that the lane on the other side of the 30 foot median strip was backed up two miles. Maybe it was because the man was driving a gas hog of an SUV.

Then there are the speeders. I'll usually set my cruise control four or five miles over the speed limit. Yes, I admit that I'm breaking the law. That makes me a criminal just like everyone else. Its a generally accepted practice, but doesn't make it right. Of course, there are people that like to drive even faster, and yell "crazy driver" or worse, at me for not breaking the law enough for their liking.

The thing that really ticks me off about the speeders is that when they do come upon the police looking for speeders, they have the insane idea that slowing down below the speed limit is going to save them from getting in trouble. So the person who passed me because I was going 70 miles per hour in a 65 zone, when they wanted to drive 80 miles per hour, holds me up because they're now driving 55 miles per hour in an attempt to save their sorry butts! ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

OK, I'll explain what this has to do with raw foods. Like so many people I'll jump into something with all my heart. I've got my Vita-Mix, my Champion, my Excalibur. I've got who knows how many recipe books.! I've gone 100% raw at least three times, adding cooked foods back into my system after a period of time.

Yes, like many of you I'm a "crazy raw foodist driver"! I'll stomp the pedal to the floor and go all out ignoring years, and years, of cooked foods. Then one day that seed that has been planted over the years sprouts in my system, and I've just got to eat those french fries, covered with ketchup. This leads to the cup of coffee loaded with chocolate (and the band plays on).

One day I'll wake up and decide that my body has been assaulted enough, and I'll dump all the cooked foods. Things will be fine until that next "cooked cop" sitting along the side of the road.

See the connection?

How much do we help ourselves by jumping in feet first, and going 100% raw? We do great for a while, then we start adding things back into our diets that really aren't raw. First we might use maple syrup, a cooked food. An how about that dried herb for seasoning? Do you really think that the herb is "raw"?

Do what I'm struggling to do. Try a steady, constant, and reasonable speed in your diet. Some of you might be able to speed through life and never get caught (my money is that you've really gotten a "food citation" for eating something cooked, but just won't admit it or will rationalize your minor indiscretion).

Don't ignore what you do, or rationalize it. Just accept what you've done. If you eat a candy bar, accept it, then go on with life.

Instead of going 100% raw, take a moment and take stock of where you are. You might keep a food journal for a couple of weeks and see what you eat. Make notes as to what was happening when you ate the food. You might begin to see that you eat certain foods when you're happy, or stressed.

Once you really know where you stand, slowly start making changes in your diet. Don't shock your system with a liver/kidney flush, or a three week water fast. Pick one thing in your life that you want to do differently, and concentrate on that issue. Once you're happy with what you've done, embrace the change and move on to the next issue.

Remember the old fable about the tortoise and the hare? That rabbit ran like hell toward the finish line, while the tortoise just put one foot in front of the other, keeping a constant pace. It was the tortoise who won the race, and left the rabbit sitting along the side of the road.


No comments: