Sunday, November 11, 2007

BRAS and GIRDLES


Bras and girdles? What's with the title? Is my deviancy finally showing through? No, sorry, I'm not admitting to anything other than the title really pertains to raw foods.

No, I'm not commenting on the fact that it seems like more women than men are interested in maintaining their health,either. I've been going to the Youngstown, Ohio area now for twenty-five years. Keely was born and raised in the area. For as long as I can remember there's been a store near the mall called "Elmo's Intimates: Bras and Girdles".

I'm sorry, but I couldn't have thought of a worse name for a shop. When I hear the name "Elmo" I think of a Muppet. Now I'm not about to go into any store and buy underwear for my wife unless she's got it pre-ordered and all I have to do is walk in and pay for it. I'm not embarrassed or anything, I just hate shopping. But really, what woman would want to go buy underwear from a puppet? Whoops, I'm not supposed to call it underwear am I? Men wear underwear, women wear lingerie. Harrumph! Happy?

So, on Friday Keely and I finally stopped to take the picture for this post, and I noticed the smaller sign that read "100 SIZES". OH, MY, GOD! I freaked! Let's be honest. Ever since the bra was created, prepubescent males have been scared to death of the things, and this fear doesn't fade with age. But do you really need 100 sizes sold by somebody named "Elmo"?

Am I being fair? Of course not. But how different am I than any of you reading this blog?

Ever heard of the Broadway musical "Avenue Q"? Its an adult version of the Muppets (and works well with the Elmo tie in.) One of my favorite songs is "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist". In the song the puppets face their own racism.

Everyone's a little bit racist
It's true.
But everyone is just about
As racist as you!
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
And everyone stopped being
So PC
Maybe we could live in -
Harmony!

Can we really address racism by arguing that people be more tolerant? I believe that we can't. I believe that problems of racism are more closely tied to the "ego". It is an inherent belief that we must be better than those around us, and as a result, they aren't as good as we are.

This feeling isn't limited to race, culture, sexual orientation. It is ingrained in our religious beliefs, in the way we look at sports, and even our eating habits! We rush to judgment, just like I did with Elmo.

How many of you remember the "Beef" commercials. The ads that made it seem unAmerican to eat something other than beef?

We are assailed on all sides by commercials making us feel that we are bad parents if we don't buy the right frozen dinner for our "hungry man".

Then there's the world of raw foods. There's dozens of gurus, doctors, nuts, and well meaning people. THERE'S REALLY 100 SIZES! There's a theory and strategy to fit every body (or everybody). Sometimes you feel like you've found the right fit, and sometimes you might attend an event and come away feeling like nothing but a boob. (Sorry, but I just couldn't let that one pass.)

Whatever you do, never believe that you know the answer! But doesn't that mean that you'll always be searching? Yes!

That's what ties us together. We're all in the same search for perfection. We're all striving to be happy. It matters not what our race, culture, religion, or sexual orientation might be. We're all looking for the answer to the eternal question to the meaning of life.

So let your ego sit in the corner. Look to your fellow human being in a new light. That person has a piece to the puzzle. There are no right answers, or wrong answers, and once we all realize that we're looking for the same answer, it might be a little bit easier to share.

I had the opportunity to listen to Tera Warner of "The Raw Divas" interview Steve "The Sproutman" Meyerowitz. This guy is intense! The neat thing about Steve is that he isn't afraid to question authority. He searches, and asks the hard questions. He's always looking for more information, and appears to be energized by the world around him. I highly recommend that you check out Steve at http://www.sproutman.com today!

Whatever your path, what ever you choices, just don't forget, there really isn't one size to fit all....




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fell out laughing at the image of a lingere-selling puppet. So true about never having the answer, and the importance of 100 sizes! Also it's funny, I just mentioned that song from Avenue Q today on Twitter.
Thanks for a great post. Keep on sharing your truth!
-Tanja

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.