Sunday, April 6, 2008

Its Pig Lovin' Livewurst!

So, Keely's been complaining that I need to come up with something totally, 100%, raw post. This is three posts this weekend! Does that mean I get the next three off? Probably not.

OK, here you are, a recipe for "Pig Lovin' Livewurst". How did this one come about? I had a "Dr. Rex Harrison-Dolittle" moment, and found a recipe for What Am I, Chopped Liver? at Goneraw.com. So I decided to look a little further for a liverwurst recipe, and viola!

Don't ask me if it really tastes like Liverwurst. I haven't had any in decades!

So, without further ado I present unto you:

Pig Lovin' Livewurst
(Let my Piggy Live!


Makes 4 servings

1 1/4 cups Brazil nuts
1/4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
1/4 cup onions, finely diced
1 tablespoon nama shoyu
1/2 teaspoon paprika, I used smoked
1 teaspoon agave syrup
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon coriander, finely ground
1/8 teaspoon mace
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon olive oil

Combine ingredients in food processor until smooth. Might have to stop and let machine rest because of the nuts. Allow mixture to sit covered on counter for 2 hours, or place in dehydrator for 1 hour at 110.

Shape into small roll about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and place on plate in refrigerator until chilled. I let it ripen in the refrigerator overnight.


The next morning you'll find a lovely roll of "Pig Lovin' Livewurst"!

Slice and serve on raw crackers or in romaine, or other lettuce (just as long as you don't waste your time using iceberg.)



I did something extra special with my "Livewurst". Liverwurst is used to make sandwiches with rye bread, eggs and onions. I made a batch of carmalized onions. and some of Heidi Ohlander's "Deviled eggs". (If you want the "Deviled Eggs" recipe, you'll find it in her Easter Recipe book. Don't be cheap, show her your support. Heidi and Justin support you enough don't they with Raw Food, Right Now?) I used the "Deviled Egg" recipe as a base, added a small slice of "Livewurst" and topped with the carmalized onions. Even Rachael Ray would have to say "YUMO!" (God, that woman makes me cringe. She's right when she says she's not a chef!")

Feel free to share. Just give me the credit if you like it, otherwise tell them you made it!

Oh, I forgot to thank Jeff Bucchino, "The Wizard of Draws" for the great pig clipart! Check him out!

Bon Appetit! (or whatevah!)


4 comments:

Candice Davis said...

I've never had the cooked stuff, but this recipe seems strangely appealing to me. I'll have to sub something in for the brazil nuts (sunflower seeds?) cuz the little one has nut allergies, but I'll definitely try this one. Thanks for 100% Raw post! LOL!

Penni said...

Raw liverwurst...who would have thought it? My husband will love me if I whip this up for him and since I haven't been doing my wifely food prep duties to the utmost since being on this juice feast, I think the poor boy needs some slick meat. (That's what I call meats like spam and other lunch meats.) Thanks for your ongoing inspirations!!
xo....
Penni

Anonymous said...

Bob, you've done such an amazing job with making this dish look authentic that it actually doesn't look appealing to me (I'm veg since childhood)! ROFL

I'll be sure to share the recipe with meat lovers, however!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.